When I was younger and pickier, I never liked strawberries.  The flavor, the texture, the squishiness, was just not for me.  I'm still picky to this day, not wanting any of my food to touch on my plate, but strawberries have now gained a following by my palette.  I'm not sure when it happened, but here we are.  I love them plain, in smoothies, in yogurt, and my favorite - dipped in chocolate.  Living in bush Alaska, it is pretty close to impossible to come up with fresh strawberries.  About the only option is to buy them frozen.  These are awesome for smoothies, but what about when you want to make a dessert?  You can't put frozen strawberries in everything, so I have found the best thing to do is thaw them in the refrigerator for about a day.  They leave behind some juice, but the thawed strawberry itself is definitely usable.  I chose to do a little experimenting and try them out in a strawberry shortcake.  The only two things you will need that you might not have readily available are the strawberries and cool whip or whipped cream.  I used the packets of dream whip mix you can buy to make the cool whip part myself.  I would have made some from scratch, but heavy whipping cream is not exactly a sought after item around here.  Take a look:

Strawberry Shortcake:
2/3 cup of sugar
1/4 cup of butter or shortening
1 egg
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups of flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup milk

Mix all ingredients together until well blended.  Heat oven to 350 and bake in a greased 9x9 pan for 20-25 minutes.  Cut cake in squares (I got 9) and slice each piece to add cool whip and strawberries to the middle.  Reassemble and put cool whip and strawberries on top.

You can also add a tsp of vanilla to the mixture before baking, but this is not always available where I live so I skipped it.  If you are without milk, you can also use powdered milk to cook with.  I can't stand the taste to drink it, but it's a staple in my kitchen for cooking.

Now I'm sure this would be even more delicious with fresh strawberries, but it was definitely a very tastily little snack on a Saturday afternoon.  Enjoy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog